Monday, October 13, 2014

Michael Martuza Discusses His New Book, "The Franchise Rules"

Michael Martuza is the owner of FranNet New England and the author of recently released The Franchise Rules: Find a great franchise that ‘fits’ your goals, skills, and budget. As a franchise consultant, Mike works with individuals considering business ownership to match them with franchise businesses in the local market. The book (paperback, ISBN 978-1500615734, $5.99) is the culmination of “rules” he’s gathered over his career to help others discover their ideal business opportunity.

What made you decide to write The Franchise Rules?
While working with clients, I continually come across the same situations and questions. Everyone tends to get hung up on similar issues, so I thought I would write about the underlying guidelines that I recommend clients follow when considering franchise ownership. Not only does it help me as a consultant, but it helps the client be better prepared and educated when they begin their investigation.

Much of the book's content was taken from my franchise business ownership seminars, which feature three basic rules. The book expands on that idea and is really a culmination of all of the rules I’ve figured out over my years of doing this.

How long did the book take you?
Three to four months.

What was your writing process?
I had all of these thoughts and stories I wanted to tell to clients before they began to look at a specific franchise. Prior to outlining the book, I really had to consider how to organize it. How do I make it easy to read and follow?

The book is formulated along the lines of a client’s thought process, beginning with what a client should do or how they should decide if a franchise is the right opportunity. And finally, how best to approach the due diligence process.

I would say 90 percent of the effort was in the organizing and editing. The goal was to provide a lot of great information in a very easy to read book.

How did the title come about?
I was sitting there with this list in my hand thinking about how best to get readers/potential clients to really understand that finding a great franchise is a step-by-step process. It occurred to me that this wasn’t just a list or a process, but for the most part "rules" that should always be followed. I think the title really sums up the contents of this book.

Your first rule, “Don’t Do Anything Stupid,” is pretty blunt. What was the inspiration behind that?
I often talk about people who end up making emotional buying decisions. What I mean are those potential business owners who, without doing any research, think “I want to be in this type of business because …” or “I saw this concept when I was on vacation and it worked there.” I stress that it’s important to inform them so they know what they’re doing and what they’re getting into.

It’s the first rule and phrased that way, because I don’t want readers to rush into a buying decision. Read the book. Read all of the book, and come away better educated on the process before making any decisions.

If there were one thing you would want readers to take away from The Franchise Rules, what would it be?
Utilize experts. They can help the potential franchise owner find the right opportunity; something that will ‘fit’ their goals, skills and budget.

How do these rules come into play when you’re working with clients at FranNet? 
Before a client comes in for a consult they are required (call it homework) to read the book. If they have attended a seminar, I will give it to them in person, otherwise I send it (via Amazon Prime) immediately after a Personal Franchise Assessment (PFA) review call. It takes about two hours to read, so if they are serious about looking at franchises, there is no excuse.

It’s great prep work. Not only does it help educate clients on the process they’re about to start, but it sets expectations and commitments for both parties.

Where can The Franchise Rules be purchased?
The book is available on Amazon, both in electronic ($2.99) and paperback ($5.99) versions.

1 comment:

  1. Mike's new book, Franchise Rules, sounds very interesting and full of helpful information! Especially about utilizing experts. Everyone needs help when they are starting businesses, especially franchises! I can't wait to download it and read it.

    ReplyDelete